WHAT A A CONSULATE CAN AND CANNOT DO FOR YOU?
POWER OF ATTORNEY
TRANSPORT OF ASHES
CONSULATES IN DENMARK, NORWAY AND FAROE ISLANDS
A person under the age of 18 needs a Minor Permit, signed by both parents, in the following cases:
- The minor wishes to obtain his/her own passport and every time that a new passport is issued.
- The minor is Uruguayan and is travelling with an identity card to Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay or Chile.
- The minor is Uruguayan but is travelling with foreign passport, in which it is stated that the place of birth is Uruguay.
- The minor is a foreigner with foreign passport, which has been issued or renewed during the time of stay in Uruguay.
- The minor is a foreigner, with foreign passport and has been living in Uruguay for more than one year.
If the minor was born abroad, but is Uruguayan national for having a Uruguayan mother or father (according to the Law 16.021), it is recommendable that he/she travels with Uruguayan passport. In that way, it is certified that the parents already signed the corresponding permissions when the passport was issued.
The Minor Permit can be issued at the Consulate of Uruguay in the residence country of the mother or father who should give their authorization. If they are in Uruguay, the permission should be issued at the Section for Travel Documents (Dirección de Documentación de Viaje) at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or at the National Migration Office in Montevideo (Dirección Nacional de Migraciones, Oficina Central e Inspectorías, ubicada en Misiones 1513).
f it is not possible to locate the parent who should give the authorization, his/her authority can only be substituted by a Uruguayan judge. If one of the parents has the sole custody, it is not necessary to have the permission of the other parent. However, this should be certified by providing the corresponding documents. If one of the parents has died, a copy of the death certificate should be presented.
The Minor Permit has a maximum validity of one year. However, permissions signed by a parent abroad, in order to give authorization to a minor who is in Uruguay to travel or obtain a passport, have a maximum validity of 30 days from the date of issue.
To issue a Minor Pemit, the following documents should be presented:
- Identity document of the minor.
- Identity document of both parents.
- Birth certificate of the minor, issued less than 1 year ago, in order to prove the relation to the parents.
For more information and complete rules, please visit: